Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Wellness Wednesday: Soul reading


I honestly can't remember where i first saw this book - i'm sure it was on someone's blog... but as soon as i saw the title, i knew i had to read it - especially given my reiki card 'the cave'...
i started it yesterday and read 50 pages - no mean feat for my recovering brain :o)
all i can say is my dear soul so needs to read this... having decided to leave the Anglican Church last year - after 25 years faithful service - i have been somewhat lost... i left because too much of christianity is misogynist and my heart was finding it just too hard to reconcile parts of the bible with what i felt about god, love, the world, judgement, women's gifts...
demetra george in these first 50+ pages gives an overview of the interconnectedness of the moon's cycle (waxing new moon, full moon, waning dark moon) and the cycle of plants (seed sprouts, flowers bloom, harvest and decomposition), the four seasons, the three ages of woman, the celtic wheel of the year...
the dark phase of the moon - the four days it disappears from view - is the place when death occurs in the life cycle - the seed pod in the dark earth, the 6 weeks from hallowmas to the winter solstice - the shortest days in the year - and it is the place of formlessness and transformation in the cycle of life from birth to form to death to rebirth...
i've always 'known' time is cyclical not linear, i've always 'believed' i am made of the same stuff as plants and creatures, and i never reconciled this with the church's teachings of death and resurrection... demetra george has verbalized my soul's knowledge that this cycle is what connects me to this world, and whether or not i sign up for eternal life according to the church's beliefs, death and transformation will happen and i will change and experience a new life...
and i will encounter who knows how many 'mini deaths' along the way as i grow and change and grow some more... the important part is to embrace the dark phases of my life and the time of formlessness, so i can transform to a new form and live again...

8 Comments:

At 6:25 pm , Blogger Kate Robertson said...

Claire,

Thanks for sharing this book, it looks like one I would really like to read.

Kate

 
At 6:36 pm , Blogger Zorana said...

It sounds pretty fascinating. I love your thoughts about the subject. xo

 
At 9:51 pm , Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you for telling us about this book. It must be quite a life change for you after so many years of service to the church. This has been my year to learn the value of clearing out the old to make room for new birth...allowing things to die...understanding the reason for letting a field go fallow now and again. It hasn't been an easy lesson, but now I see how necessary it was.

 
At 5:59 pm , Blogger Abbey of the Arts said...

claire, I am in a similar place regarding institutional religion and have also read the first 50 pages of this book and have been entranced by it, especially as someone who has grown to LOVE darkness in the last 4 years. I can't wait to keep reading! blessings to you, Christine

 
At 9:29 pm , Blogger storyteller said...

Interesting to see how many of us have moved away from our "Christian" roots into more "inclusive" spiritual journeys. I've not seen this book before but appreciate you sharing it today and I'll look forward to learning more as you read it.
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 3:26 pm , Blogger Lisa said...

As of Tuesday, I will have finished up obligations in my "church" and have no desire to go back for all the reasons spoken of here and more. It's sad and a death of sorts. There are people there I love and will miss but I must say goodbye. Except I won't say goodbye, I'll just fade away and noone will really take notice because they are so busy doing church stuff.


The book looks amazing and I plan to get it now. Much love to you, my dear Claire.

 
At 4:18 am , Blogger gma said...

This sounds very interesting. There were many things that caused me to turn away from the church as well....feel closer and more spiritual now!

 
At 10:51 pm , Blogger Deborah said...

It may not feel like it now but this verge is a wonderful place to be. In years to come you'll look back on these early days of learning with fondness. At least that's my experience.

Next up: Imagine a Woman In Love With Herself - can't think of the author but its gooood stuff.

How are your beads treating you?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home