Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sacred Life Sunday: Sacred reading


I've recently finished this wonderful little book!! Like The Seven Whispers I read in the summer, this tiny book holds a wealth of wisdom...
The first chapter talks about the 'domestication of the soul' we all experience - we grow into the belief patterns our parents, grandparents, school teachers, church leaders impart to us. There's nothing wrong with this, it's what our elders do. What's worrying is if we never listen to our own soul's innate wisdom; to never learn what our own soul wants to teach us...
This sooo spoke to me - I'm only just starting to listen and trust my own soul - aged 43!!! I've spent so many years absorbing my parents' beliefs - not to mention my church leaders' - which I've finally admitted my soul honestly doesn't believe!! I'm slowly learning to express what i do believe, and it's soooo liberating!!!!

The actual four agreements are so practical and basic commonsense, yet we rarely actually do them...

1 Be impeccable with your word - basically mean what you say and say what you mean!
2 Don't take anything personally - people live with their own selves centre-stage, basically it's never about you!
3 Don't make assumptions - this is my killer agreement. I get so caught up in assuming my nearest and dearest understand me and my needs, I fail too express myself clearly and assume way too much!!
4 Always do your best - don't beat yourself up when you slip into old patterns of behaviour, just do your best moment by moment...

I now want to work through the exercises in the companion volume - slowly and deeply listening to what my soul wants to say... I'll let you know what I hear :o)

5 Comments:

At 3:25 pm , Blogger Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this! It is very timely for me, as I am just now (at age 44) trying to explore the notion of going against society's conditioned valuing of more money in favour of what I truly want to do for a living.

 
At 10:26 am , Blogger Annie Z said...

Sounds like a wonderful book.
I am SO glad you are learning to find yourself and your own beliefs. I have been on that journey since my 20's and it is a journey that I am eternally grateful for. Now, at 38, I feel I am maybe, just maybe, starting to truly find a more enlightened way. It's a bit scary, to just totally let go of old ways of thinking etc. But so liberating.
Annie
xxx

 
At 3:38 pm , Blogger thailandchani said...

The four agreements sound very reasonable. :) I suspect we all struggle with the third one. Inferential leaps have become a way of life for most of us.

Good reminders. I'll check out the book.

 
At 12:57 am , Blogger Beverly Keaton Smith said...

Thanks for posting the four agreements Claire. Very powerful...I read that book a long time ago...so it was good to have the reminder. Bev

 
At 2:00 pm , Blogger storyteller said...

Ah ... I've read all the books Don Miguel Ruiz has published (and some co-written with others). What simplicity and elegance in his teachings! Though not always easy to apply consistently, (in my experience) when practiced these agreements change everything ... not only for us, but also for those with whom we come into contact :)

I appreciate the reference to The Seven Whispers, a book with which I'm unfamiliar but plan to seek out later today.

I'm so glad I found your Blog today and am sure I'll return often. You are a wise woman Claire!
Hugs and blessings,

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home