Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Wellness Wednesday: Imbolc (February 2nd)




Spring is here! we've survived another winter! the days are already getting longer, and my soul celebrates!
i'm learning as much as i can about the old celtic ways, and on friday i'll tune in for an imbolc ceremony by telephone as part of my earth rhythms class.
i'm loving all the connections i'm finding - the Church was very good at adopting sacred days and places and giving them a christian spin. imbolc - the feast of brigid - became candlemas - the purification of the virgin mary. but i love the oldest reasons to celebrate - the ewes are getting ready for lambing: 'im-bolc' means 'in the belly' and the fact the spring flowers - like snowdrops and daffodils - are heralding the new season!!
whose spirits cannot be lifted at the sight of these gorgeous flowers?
i'm so blessed to live in the beautiful, english countryside, and i get out in the sunshine every day if i can. it's still pretty cold, but the sun has real warmth in it. no wonder my soul and body respond to all this new life! no wonder i feel really well - deep in my belly!!

7 Comments:

At 4:44 pm , Blogger Kate Robertson said...

Oh signs of spring, that is a long way off here so I was delighted to see your photos. I just found out about Imbolc last year when my church celebrated it. I too love the old holidays so much.

Kate

 
At 12:18 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Celtic feasts and Imbolc is so pregnant with possibility! Blessings to you across the seas Claire!

 
At 6:52 pm , Blogger Al and Alison said...

Today, February 2, is my birthday and I tell you this only to say I had never heard of Imbolc. It sounds like such a wonderful festival; I am so glad to learn of it and to share it!

Hope you are well and that it's a wonderful day for you!

 
At 5:14 am , Blogger Yolanda said...

Interstingly enough we have posted on the same topic.

 
At 4:05 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spring!!! Gotta love spring!!! Wonderful captures!!! Thanks for sharing them with us!

 
At 8:55 pm , Blogger KaiBlue said...

wow, I wish we had flowers..instead of snow!! lol. :)
PEace and love, Kai xx

 
At 4:24 am , Blogger Flassie's Fil'a said...

I noticed some bulbs coming up out of a pot outside and the next day a critter had nipped them off. I went out and bought some daffodils.

Lovely Photo's!

It is still cold here but we do have some things that bloom in the winter. Even under the snow.

Have a Blessed Happy Fun
Creative Healthy Year!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home