Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sacred Life Sunday: Prayer

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean
--the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth
instead of up and down
--who is gazing around with her
enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms
and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention,
how to fall down into the grass,
how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
Mary Oliver

9 Comments:

At 4:27 pm , Blogger Kate Robertson said...

Claire,

This poem is a favorite of mine. At my church we do a service on the last 2 lines of the poem and have a person from each decade of life talk about their wild and precious life. It is always a moving service and a favorite one to attend.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Kate

 
At 8:37 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great combination of image and poem. This is one of my favorite poems.

 
At 6:46 pm , Blogger Deborah said...

I am still floored when I see a piece I've made in someone else's hands - talk about feeling humbled. I'm gonna lift this if you don't have any objections - I need a post and don't have much time for a proper one.

So glad you're doing so well and "popping!"

Happy New Year! Deb

 
At 1:45 pm , Blogger storyteller said...

This is lovely Claire and I don't believe I'm familiar with this piece ... though my memory isn't what it once was so I could be wrong. In any case ... thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

 
At 12:56 am , Blogger KaiBlue said...

that's perfect and beautiful claire.. :) Love the picture..

PEace, Kai xx

 
At 9:05 pm , Blogger Mary Timme said...

I love Mary Oliver and how she says the neatest things.

 
At 2:39 pm , Blogger paintandink said...

A fantastic poem. One I should read every day.

 
At 4:28 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful poem Claire! Thank you for sharing it with us!
*HUGS*

 
At 9:05 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

I so enjoy reading your blog and so glad that the you are feeling more energised - you will go from strength to strenght

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home