Monday, July 14, 2008

Sacred Life Sunday: Thank you for the music!



The sound of ABBA is the soundtrack of my youth, rediscovered in mid-life as the sound guaranteed to get friends on the dance floor at parties brandishing hairbrushes and wooden spoons! so when i saw a movie was coming out, i assumed me and 'the girls' would see it en masse as we did with the SATC (Sex and the City) movie a few weeks ago....

what i didn't expect was my 10-year-old daughter wanting to see it - thankfully it's a PG! - with her ageing mama!! so that's what we did yesterday afternoon - me and my poppet standing in line with all the other ladies of a certain age....

what made this such a sacred experience were all the emotions i felt throughout the 1.5 hours... nostalgia, fun, laughter, respect for all the actors, not known for their singing and dancing (esp. meryl streep - did you know this awesome woman has just turned 59!!!!), the whole gamut of emotions watching a mother and daughter prepare for the girl's 'big day' as i sat beside my own beautiful, beautiful daughter.... sadness at my lack of mobility - will i ever dance exuberantly again?, disbelief at where the years have gone - the way the opening bars of every song can collapse the passage of time and suddenly i'm a teenager again with all the time in the world to live my life, just to glance to my right and see my own pre-teen daughter with all her hopes and dreams...

isn't it amazing what we can experience sitting in a chair watching a big screen...????

PS
this was today's FBL quote in my emailbox which i checked having written this post:

When you begin to touch your heart or let your heart be touched,
you begin to discover that it's bottomless,
that it doesn't have any resolution,
that this heart is huge, vast, and limitless.
You begin to discover how much warmth and gentleness is there,
as well as how much space.

Pema Chodron (b. 1936); Buddhist nun
you can add a widget in your sidebar if you want - just scroll down to find it near my previous post :o)



9 Comments:

At 1:10 pm , Blogger Flassie's Fil'a said...

I had tears in my reading this post.

Love the quote!

GOD Bless You and Yours!!!

 
At 5:36 pm , Blogger mrsnesbitt said...

Lovely evening Claire, glad you enjoyed yourself. Abba...the memories! LOL!

 
At 10:31 pm , Blogger Olivia said...

Claire,

How beautiful and how very poignant as well. You may continue to have some losses in mobility (although I hope you TOTALLY recover), but it is ever so sweet the relationship you share with your daughter. You will dance in your heart for her and get to see her grow up and maybe, hopefully, dance with her one day...

What a beautiful Sacred Sunday,

Love,

O
xxoo

PS Welcome back!

 
At 8:04 pm , Blogger paintandink said...

I wasn't sure if I wanted to see that movie... now I'm convinced that I do!

And I love the Foundation for a Better Life... their quotes, their ads, just love them.

 
At 10:50 pm , Blogger Goddess Findings said...

Claire...I share your connection to ABBA, gosh what memories that music brings back. We all face lack of mobility on some level- for me it's my fingers and getting them moving them across the keyboard again like they used to. It can all come back, don't worry. Have you seen the new Louis Hay movie? Get the extended version....hope abounds!

 
At 8:53 pm , Blogger thailandchani said...

This is great! :) I figured I'd see that movie when it comes out on DVD through Netflix.

I like the quote... very much!

 
At 12:50 am , Blogger KaiBlue said...

Aloha claire,
I grew up with Abba music too. I watched them win the euro song contest and have loved the sound ever since..
I'll be seeing this movie sometime :)
PEace n hugs, Kai xx

 
At 3:33 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! The quote is wonderful but the story of you and your daughter going to see that musical together. It was so touching. Thanks for sharing with us!
*HUGS*
Angela

 
At 3:52 am , Blogger Zorana said...

What a beautiful post! I would love to see the movie, because I'm sure that the music would bring back many memories too... but I don't think that my teenage girl would like it. It might be worth going with her just to see her face (she loves completely different style of music, something that I can't listen to). Kisses to your little poppet. xo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home