Monday, September 10, 2007

Special Friendships



two years ago, my dear friend Jane left Boston (in Lincs, not the US!!) for the isle of Mull (in Scotland), to marry John and run a B&B. it's the most beautiful place - i've seen photos - and from their house, on a clear day!!, they can see the holy island of Iona...

on saturday i received a parcel from her - in it were shells from the beach marked the north side of the map of Iona called Traigh Ban nam Manach (The White Strand of the Monks) and pebbles from the west coast of the island called Camus Cul an t-Saimh (The Bay at the Back of the Ocean).

Jane knows i soooo want to visit Iona (and her and John, of course!) and experience the 'thin places' for myself - where the veil between our world and Spirit is so thin we can touch Spirit - and so she wanted me to feel closer to them in my own home...

i made this little centre piece for the table - i wish i had space to create a special altar for it, but the focus in our house is the kitchen table, and the focus of this My Sacred Life project is to find Spirit in the everyday!

i will replace the candle every day and burn it to celebrate the beautiful friends i have, the love we share and the chance to connect with Spirit and discover the 'thin places' in my own home...

What a precious gift!! Bless you, dear Jane!!

11 Comments:

At 10:54 am , Blogger Annie Z said...

I'm intrigued by the idea of "thin places" I have never heard that before. What is that all about? Where can you find these "thin" places?

Annie
xxx

 
At 2:14 pm , Blogger Deborah said...

Jane ordered beads from me so I followed the link and the B&B looks GORGEOUS! I soo want to go!

 
At 3:30 pm , Blogger Jane said...

Claire - the pebbles and shells look so beautiful together and your words moved me to tears. There maybe many miles between loved ones and special friends but this 'ethereal' form of sacred sharing brings with it an incredible sense of closeness and sharing. Thank you - so happy you like your little Iona. xx

 
At 9:05 pm , Blogger Beverly Keaton Smith said...

I'm with Annie. Can you say more about Thin Places? Thanks for sharing. Keep believing Claire. You will get there sooner than you think!

 
At 5:13 am , Blogger Lisa said...

Such a beautiful idea and post, Claire.I love the idea of "thin places" in your home!

 
At 6:32 am , Blogger Cheryl Finley said...

Claire,
What magnificient gifts to receive from your special friends...and I've never heard of "thin places" and I would love to go!..maybe one day, now that I know about them.

I'm glad you can experience the sacredness of friendship.

Cheryl

 
At 10:36 pm , Blogger KaiBlue said...

that's gorgeous, so serene and simple Claire.
The BnB is exquisit!!
Peace and love, Kai xx

 
At 7:39 pm , Blogger Rick Hamrick said...

Claire--it's so wonderful that your friend sent you the "thin place" mementos. If you cannot be there yet, you can begin to learn what it is like, right at home.

 
At 11:38 pm , Blogger Yolanda said...

Claire,
The book has gotten major press over here it is kind of a word of mouth book like The Memory Keepers Daughter etc. but it is a hidden jewel of a book with lots of hidden truths. The writer is from New Zealand.

 
At 4:36 am , Blogger Kate I said...

This was such a touching and thoughtful act of friendship that your friend created for you!

I've had several friends go to Iona on sacred retreats and each one has truly felt the magic of the place.

 
At 11:49 am , Blogger paintandink said...

WOW.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home